01 March 2008

The venue

When I decided I wanted to direct Macbeth I had in mind the Mill Theatre here in Christchurch. For years I've stared at it thinking how it would be a great place to put on the Scottish play. It's a pros arch, black box. The theatre is an old Mill and has the feel of a well used venue. It has a ghost. As I imagined Macbeth at the Mill I saw a full-on traditional rendition. But it is not at the Mill but at the Elmwood Auditorium.

I've spent 6 years writing site-specific plays, that is plays performed in the venue they are set in. I've learnt from that that it is really important to match the style of production with the location for the performance.

Elmwood Auditorium is shared with a school and has a light polished wooden floor. We can't leave a set up so it has to be struck every night. The venue is an odd shape- a half round but with a huge back stage area. A traditional rendition is not a good option.

The 2008 Elmwood Macbeth needs to be in tune with this.
A modern space. The wooden floors reflect light. The ceiling is incredibly high.

So set and 'set-up' - initial thoughts are:

* Modern setting
* Lots of smoke and dry-ice
* Music and lighting key components of set
* The set has one or two rostra elements that roll out
* A screen that can be used to project from behind and from the front
* The ceiling height and shiney floor need to be used

No comments: