31 March 2008

Editing Macbeth

Some purists want to see all of any given Shakespearean play left in the performance. Of course this doesn't necessarily serve the audience well.

But to make sure I get it as right as I can I have been seeking advice on the edits.

Given this is an important play there are some considerations aside from performance issues - maintaining the rhythm (and iambic pentameter), all the key metaphors and critical lines is essential.

But if there are cuts that means lines and scenes need to go.

Once it was clear we need to remove some text the question has been what to remove. I have been talking with Scott Koorey who edited for the script that Loopen did last year and also looking at blogs and other sources.

The issue Scott believes is to look at what the intent of the cuts is. His production edited lines through-out but kept the scenes.

I've chosen to put Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, the witches, and possibly Duncan and Banquo at the core. Macduff and Malcolm are counterbalances of good but this can be demonstrated with a lot less dialogue. I'll also be endeavouring to 'show' rather than 'tell' with action where possible.

The cuts aren't finalised yet and I want to work on them some more.

No comments: