05 March 2008

The Beckhams

I've never seen a Macbeth / Lady Macbeth combination and characters that have really worked for me. The closest was a production in Gisborne on the pier in the middle of summer in about 1994. Lady Macbeth was played as disturbed right from the start, and Macbeth was either played as vague with bursts of enthusiasm or that was just the actor.

Anyway I discussed Lady Macbeth as a bit like Pauline Hanson the problem is who would Macbeth be? What would they look like as a couple? What is the dynamic? And that's where most productions fall down for me. Most versions play it like they're deeply in love - but how does that work? I've asked a few people and have answers like 'ah yes but that's why they're different - they're giving in to their dark sides, ambition'. I think when people say that, if you believe them, you should give them a wide berth. I can't find that sort of relationship in myself coming from love. It's more Charles Manson and Squeaky Fromm. To me to be realistic it needs to come from a very sick, dysfunctional relationship. It's more David Bain's family than Burton and Taylor.

Discussing it tonight the Beckhams seem a nice parallel. They're not brutal enough, but you know something is not right. He's a great warrior. And you know Posh is in charge.

1 comment:

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Best M and lady M I've seen was in a COlin Mccoll production in early 80's set in post apocalyptic city. Macbeth was played by a huge blond viking of a guy who was a great actor and played him as a real man's man who knew what to do with a sword but found politics beyond him. Carrie Wainwright played Lady MacB, an actress of amazing presence and unlike the traditional waify vixen she is a woman of substance and bestrode the stage with all the political ambition her husband lacked. It was fab.