26 April 2008

Audition packs

I've started the audition packs - these include background on the ideas I have for the production, how I want to audition people, and the excerpts from the play for the auditions.

Above all I want people to give the type of audition that reflects the way they work… they can read up and prepare looking at background and the script OR turn up cold. Part of the audition is to find out how they like to work and what sort of actor they are.

I have worked with people who start rehearsals as blank canvasses and others who turn up to the first rehearsal with most of the character in place. I've had with thinkers, intuitive actors, and others who are very physical in how they develop their characters. Some audition brilliantly and never get any better, most audition at one level and just get better. I have also worked with actors who give brilliant auditions and get worse. One woman I had in a show 11 years ago I never saw her get near her audition level .....

I'm a blank canvas - I come in with ideas but really try and learn the part as I go... so I start with thinking and listening to the Director and feeling the other actors and then let it happen intiuitively. Some years ago I was cast as Amadeus, and withdrew 2 and a half weeks into 8 weeks of rehearsals when the Director wanted to know why I wasn't fully in character yet.

Anyway enough war stories I will post the audition packs and the script here in the next two weeks.

No comments: